Valentine’s Day is coming up in just a few weeks. You may already be seeing lots of hearts and chocolates set out in local stores. Remember to keep your pet’s health and safety in mind as the romantic holiday approaches. This sweethearts’ holiday can be quite dangerous to our four-legged friends! A local Lakeville, MN vet lists some dangers for pet parents to be aware of below.
Candlelight dinners are very romantic, but you’ll need to be very careful if you have pets around. Burn candles in thick glass candleholders, and keep them in high, secure spots that your furry companion can’t reach. Fireplaces can also be dangerous. If you have a fireplace, put a thick grate in front of it.
Many people like having wine or champagne with their special someone on Valentine’s Day. Just keep the alcohol away from your pet: it’s not safe for them. In fact, even small amounts of booze can make Fluffy and Fido very sick!
Chocolate and Candies
Chocolate is a very popular Valentine’s Day gift. However, it isn’t safe for pets. Chocolate contains caffeine and something called theobromine, which are both toxic to our furry friends. Chocolate with nuts and/or sweet fillings is extra dangerous, as many nuts are poisonous to pets. Those cute candy hearts are another concern. Many of them contain xylitol, which isn’t safe for pets. Hard candies can also be choking hazards, as can candy wrappers.
Bouquets are a beautiful and romantic gesture, and are very popular Valentine’s Day gifts. Just be sure to keep those pretty flowers away from your furry buddy. Many types of flowers, such as lilies, are toxic to pets. Some flowers, like roses, are not toxic, but have sharp thorns that can cause injuries.
Those adorable teddy bears can make wonderful mementos. However, they aren’t necessarily pet safe. Dogs are more at risk here that cats. This is because Fido tends to eat stuffed animals, while Fluffy usually just falls asleep on them. The stuffing is one thing to be concerned about. It can cause serious gastrointestinal issues if ingested, and can also be toxic. Small parts, like those button eyes or noses, can choke playful pets. Ribbons and other accessories are dangerous as well.
Please call us, your Lakeville, MN vet clinic, for your pet’s veterinary care needs. We’re here to help!